Tuesday, February 08, 2011

A Couple More Things You Might Want to Know About Corn Fibre

If you are considering spinning with corn fibre at all (and I can't say that I would recommend it) here are a couple of things I've discovered today that you might want to bear in mind.

A - It doesn't block well. I had a feeling this might be the case is it has none of the stretch or memory of wool. I was right. The mystery object (it's for a competition remember, to be judged anonymously) looked great on the blocking board but as soon as I took it off it reverted pretty much immediately to it's previous unblocked state. And the edges curled in.

B - You know when you have a really bright idea to fix a problem. I had one of those. I thought if I steam pressed the edges they would stop rolling in and look better. Here's where I learned the other thing you really need to know about corn fibre. IT MELTS!!!

Aaaaagh.

1 comment:

Marica said...

So interesting, you having tried out the corn fibre. I sent for 100 gr each of corn fibre and milk protein fibre from Scottish fibres just two weeks ago. I just had them delivered and they feel and look lovely!
I am a bit weary abt spinning them now though... will I be able to make a yarn at all? What to do with the yard if I manage?

I have some ideas now anyway, and how envious I am that you have a spinning group!! No such thing here in the south of Sweden.

Best,
Marica