Monday, August 15, 2011

Knit Nation Report

I just realised that I am so far behind with my blogging that this show happened over a month ago and I still haven't reported on it.


Knit Nation, for those not in the know was held at Imperial College, London on the weekend of 15-17th July. It was a huge event with many classes and workshops, covering lots of different knitting and spinning skills and with tutors from all over the world.


I wasn't doing any classes, but I did want to go to the marketplace because I wanted to check out the competition - ie I wanted to see if the many independent yarn dyers who would be there were selling the sort of stuff that I am planning on stocking in my little Etsy shop. Plus, I just love to see what everyone is knitting, what the new products are, talk to people etc etc.

I went with Philippa from my spinning group and we had a lovely time mooching around the stalls and talking to the vendors. There were some great stands - Habu Textiles, Loop (they had lots of Wollemeise which was selling like hot cakes), The Yarn Yard, Juno, Brownberry Yarns and Krafty Koala to name but a few. I was very restrained and actually didn't buy any yarn at all. I did buy some alpaca fibre to spin from John Arbon Textiles, and a blocking wires kit from Brownberry Yarns. All in all it was a very inspiring day spent with some lovely knitters. We went to Ysolda's booth and tried on her samples from the Little Red in the Big City book and now I want to knit them all. I definitely need to knit myself some cardigans before this winter though so it was great to try her samples and see which ones look best on me.

When we felt we'd had enough of the shopping we headed back towards South Kensington tube station and went to the Hummingbird Bakery which is just around the corner where we had fantastic cake, and I bought some for Pete and the Evilpixie too.

You will notice that there are no photos from this day - I did have my camera with me but somehow in all the excitement, and overcome by the sheepy fumes I just didn't take any pictures. I am such a rubbish blogger.

Next up is my report from Fibre-East - I took pictures there, honest.

No comments: